Friday, April 27, 2012

Return to Toowong


I had lunch in Toowong with a friend today and it was tinged with a touch of nostalgia.

Just around the corner, in Jephson Street, was my first home away from home. It was 18 years ago (I can hear you calculating now...) and I'd moved from Townsville to Brisbane to go to uni.

I lived in a local college here for 2 years and had an awesome time, just as a free spirited student's life should be. I made fantastic friends who are still my besties today. Toowong will always be a special place for me.

But I digress.



Just around the corner from my old college is Corner Street Cafe, an adorable  Queenslander that's been converted into a cafe. It wasn't there when I was at uni and even if it was I probably wouldn't have gone. As a poor (but happy) student we lived on terrible college food and the local maccas.


I had the falefal pita with hommus, tabouli, tomato relish, grated carrot and grated beetroot and jalepenos presented on chopping board. Not flavours I would have put together but ohhh so delicious and filling I couldn't finish it!

I still love catching up with friends over lunch, like I did around the corner in the 90s, but the cuisine has changed somewhat...definitely for the better I think.


Corner Street Cafe
113 Sylvan Road, Toowong
www.cornerstorecafe.com