Friday, March 8, 2013

Dumpling Making Night!



I was at Sunnybank late the other night (just for something different) and walked past a Chinese restaurant after closing. Sitting by the window were four people in animated conversation, making dumplings for the next day. I wondered if it was a family business as they were laughing and joking with each other and it reminded me of times at my Grandmother's home, when all the Aunties would make batches of wontons.

I was so inspired I wanted to go home and make dumplings all night. I didn't, but I did pick up some ingredients for the next night.

When I (finally) move into my new house I'm so going to gather all my foodie friends around the breakfast bar to make dumplings and then have a dumpling feast. In the meantime I had to contend with creating in my little kitchen.

We made tofu ones with water chestnuts, ginger, shitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots and shallots. There were also prawns ones for the non vegetarians. Steamed in the little bamboo steamers and served simply with soy and chilli sauce.

Sooo authentic!

I had so many ingredients left over so next are wontons...in a salute to my dear Grandmother...and my stomach.